Thursday, August 14

Ridiculously Practically Meals: Taco Salad

Share it Please

This was my compromise, and it turned out to be quite a tasty compromise. I wanted salad for dinner, but Hubby doesn't really think it's a meal until there is meat (if you want a vegetarian option you could try making your own ground tofu, but I've never done it before myself so I can't say how well it works). So I made taco salad using all the ground turkey his heart could desire. Now I know taco salad is not unique, I had some amazing taco salad at the Vinaigrette Salad Bistro which is where I learned just how good it could be. For this I didn't use a recipe, I just trusted my instincts on what makes a good taco to transfer over. I'm going to share with you exactly what I used in the recipe below, but the great news is this salad is flexible. Add whatever you want and take out what you don't like!

You will need: 1 pound ground turkey (beef works too), 1 packet taco seasoning, 1 orange bell pepper, 1/2 medium onion, 1 corn on the cob, tortilla chips, romaine lettuce, green chile sauce, virgin olive oil, shredded cheese (I used a taco mix).


Thinly coat a skillet with olive oil, then prepare your vegetables. Starting with the bell pepper remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Roughly chop. Peel your onion. Roughly chop. Peel the corn husk off. Use a knife to shred the kernals off the corn cob. Place all vegetables in the skillet with 1 tsp. of the taco seasoning. Cook on high, stirring regularly, until the corn begins to brown. Remove and place in large bowl. Once again, coat the skillet with olive oil. Add the ground meet and the rest of the taco seasoning. Cook on high, stirring regularly until fully cooked. Add to the large bowl with the vegetables. Crush your tortilla chips (it's easiest to do this while they are still in the bag) and then add to taste. Mix together. Allow to cool so that the meat is warm, but not hot. I put my bowl in the fridge for ten minutes.

While your meat is cooling prepare two to four dinner bowls by creating a bottom layer of romaine lettuce. Add green chile sauce to taste and spread over the romaine. Top with meat and veggie mixture and finally top with shredded cheese. Serve as is and allow your dinner guests to mix it all together! Bon appétit!


3 comments:

  1. I've made this and it's delish! I need to try it with corn. Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious will try like to try this thanks for sharing.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is also one to think that a meal with no meat in it is not a meal. My go-to salad with meat is a grilled chicken salad, but a taco salad is a good idea, too!

    ReplyDelete

Followers