Wednesday, March 19

Ridiculously Practical Meals: Fried Rice

Share it Please

Fried rice has always been a comforting food to me. Fried rice is always perfect, because it can have (almost) whatever you want in it. Craving a specific veggie or meat? Add it to fried rice.  Now, while I've always enjoyed consuming fried rice, I've shied away from making it. Why? Well, I'm terrible at making rice. There I've said it. I always want to make the perfect rice, but I don't have a rice steamer and instant rice from the grocery store just doesn't cut it for fried rice. Plus, the rice is supposed to be old, 2-3 days old is the sweet spot. Do I think ahead and cook things in advance? Never.


Then I had a brilliant idea! When I go to a Chinese restaurant, order more rice than I want. That's right, order so much rice there is no way you could eat it all. Only need a small? Order a large anyway. When you leave the restaurant ask for a box and take all your extra home. Save it for a few days and, wa-la, you have the perfect fried rice material! Of course, if you have a rice steamer or simply a higher skill level than me you can make your own.


What you will need: rice that is several days old (approximately 4 cups), 3 or 4 green onions, 2 large eggs, oil, and soy sauce (or other sauce of choice). Chop up your green onions and set to the side. Warm up two tablespoons of oil in the sauce pan. During this time whisk your two eggs together in a small bowl. Add eggs to hot oil. Scramble. Be sure to take them out of the pan before they are dry. Set aside. Quickly rinse the pan. Warm up two more tablespoons of oil. When hot, add rice. Fry on high while stirring constantly. Add one to two tablespoons of sauce. Cook until thoroughly heated. Add eggs. Stir. Add green onions. Stir. Serve while still hot!


I chose to cook up some frozen pot-stickers to go with this dish, but really you could eat this on its own, you could add tofu or meat, or eat it on the side of something else entirely. Bon appétit!

40 comments:

  1. I make rice a lot but I have never tried making fried rice, what a great idea to pre-buy it so you don't have to make it yourself. I would add lots of veg to this, sounds yum! Hope you're having a good week so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know why I never thought of doing this earlier, it's such a time saver! That's what I love about rice dishes, add whatever you want! Lots of veg would be great with this. :) I'm having a good week and I hope you are too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious very well done I'm going to archive to try out like trying all types of recipes thanks for sharing.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! What a great compliment! :)

      Delete
  3. I am 100% guilty as charged for doing the same thing. Ordered more rice taking it home and whipping up fabulous fried rice. It is such an easy quick meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's great! I love it! :) Maybe not quite as cost effective as making the rice yourself, but I love the ease. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. this sounds amazing! & totally useful for the ridiculous amounts of white rice they add to the ton of stuff we usually get! idk if you have a Trader Joe's by you, but they have an amazingggg fried rice you throw together in a pan (it has shrimp and a ton of veggies already) on the spot. Nothing beats some delish comfort food!
    xx Corinne
    cateyesandthighhighs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Trader Joes, but I haven't tried the fried rice yet. I'll definitely have to give it a try! Thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete
  5. It seems delicious!!! I've to rty it.
    Have a sweet day
    kisses
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful day as well!

      Delete
  6. excellente recette)

    mary-tur.ru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fried rice and this is exactly how I cooked them. My favourites are the bento boxes meals, the rice never tasted so good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm, bento boxes. So delicious! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. my mom made fried rice pretty frequently when i was growing up, but for some reason i've yet to make it for jon -- time to change that?? this recipe is looks easy enough, right? gonna have to get me some of those pot stickers though- they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy! If you want the same pot stickers I bought the giant yellow bag at Costco, but if you don't have a Costco membership you can find equally good ones at your grocery and probably even better at a Chinese grocery. Pot stickers and rice is one of my number one comfort foods. :)

      Delete
  9. yummm... I love a good nasi goreng!
    http://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by! I hope you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  10. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you always share so delicious food
    kss
    new post: http://tupersonalshopperviajero.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/nivea-q10-cc-cream.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could hug you right now Lauren! I never knew how to make this and it's so easy! WOW! I love fried rice. I could probably add shrimp to it too! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally add shrimp! If you add a lot of extras that need to be cooked I would just suggest adding some more oil, and that's it! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  13. Hello dear I went to say hello and if you have time come for the new post. Hello, follow me........

    Valentina.

    WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM
    ZAGU FACEBOOK PAGE
    bloglovin follower


    ReplyDelete
  14. Chicken fried rice is a fave of mine- cue my tummy rumbling! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg I was just craving for fried rice last night haha. I love the idea that u can just order more rice from a Chinese restaurant, never thought of that one ;) Ur fried rice looks even more delicious w/ the pot stickers on top!
    www.speakstyleandrock.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crave fried rice regularly! :) Just easy frozen pot stickers, I bought a massive bag from Costco for really cheap. :)

      Delete
  16. It seems really good! Thanks for sharing your recipe! =)

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love our fried rice!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly think fried rice is one of the best dishes! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  18. Great post. I always have trouble making fried rice for some reason...
    You have a great blog

    xx Cissy
    www.idreamofbunnies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, my problem is making the rice, which is why I bought pre-made rice! Good luck! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  19. I absolutely LOVE fried rice! I love how this dish has no rules and anything and everything can be added in to create a beautiful creation!
    Whenever I am hungry, I just throw rice into the rice cooker and wait for the *ding* and then just add all my favourite ingredients: egg, sweet corn and chicken and whatever else I'm feeling that day and VOILA perfect meal!! :p
    Love this post!!

    http://tropicalcolours.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's great how versatile it is! Herbivore, Carnivore, or Omnivore... there's something for everyone! Plus you can tailor it to whatever you already have on hand!

      Delete
  20. Aaaah I am hungry now :3

    Would you like to follow each other?
    http://ladynoree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog! I'll be sure to stop by yours!

      Delete

Followers