Friday, March 7

How To: Make A Mug

Share it Please
Ok, I'm not talking pottery, we are not making our own mugs from scratch. Really, we are decorating mugs that are already in existence. So go grab a plain, boring, old mug and get styling!


You will need a plain mug that is light in color and a sharpie. I used a beige mug I was given for free, it is old enough that all the markings have since worn off of it. If you don't have a mug like that sitting around, you can buy a plain white mug for under $2.00 at most stores. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.


Now draw anything. Choose a quote you like, a cute picture, that tattoo design you've been too afraid to actually ink on your body, absolutely anything you want. I chose a quote by Dr. Seuss, "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." I thought it would be a rather inspiring reminder in the morning when I'm drinking my coffee.


Once you've completed your design and are sure it's exactly how you want it - no take backs - slide your mug on a cookie sheet and pop that baby in the oven for 30 minutes. It will come out piping hot, so be careful not to touch. Let it cool to room temperature. Now you can use your mug and feel free to hand wash it without fear!

35 comments:

  1. JIJI How funny and personal!! It is easy to do !! Great!!

    http://melange-boutique.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Loooove it! So cute <3
    Xo,
    Julie | http://www.juliechagas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome DIY post! Very creative! =D
    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I love this, so cute, thoughtful and creative! Have an awesome weekend babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you had a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  5. How adorable pretty cool. Enjoy your weekend.
    http;//tifi11@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a great weekend and hope you did too!

      Delete
  6. Cute idea. Love your drawing - especially the hairdo on the person flipping their lid! This could be a fun activity for a slumber party/movie night with everyone having easy to identify mugs to slurp from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having them as a party activity is a great idea! I didn't even think of that! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Oh i love the idea! It's cute and making it your own is so unique! Great post! :) xx

    tropicalcolours.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post, you've done a great job there might try this. Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun trying this! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. This is so cute!! I have seen these on Pinterest but have never tried it myself. Would be fun to give it a shot!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a nice post dear ! xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cool idea....love your last quote! Wishing you a great day!! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a few like this, but the writing always rubs off! Have you discovered how to keep them safe?

    Tiffany Ima
    Style Honestly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, did you cook it for the right amount of time and temperature? And do you hand wash it or wash it in the dishwasher? So far mine has done just fine, but I only hand wash it so I can be extra gentle on the writing. If I discover anything new I'll let you know!

      Delete
  13. Funny idea to customize a cup whatever. Good March 8: best wishes to all women. Hello dear.

    Valentina.

    WWW.ZAGUFASHION.COM
    ZAGU FACEBOOK PAGE
    bloglovin follower

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a great and unique idea! I should get one and decorate it.

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So simple yet so adorable and a great way to enjoy my tea!

    remnantsofreflection.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  16. the mug is so simple and fun - definitely want to try something like this for jon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. such a nice idea
    kss
    new post: http://tupersonalshopperviajero.blogspot.com.es/2014/03/yellow-floral-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute! I tried this with the colored sharpies, but my mug's writing did start to come off after a few washes. Just a warning - be very gentle with it! :)

    Allison Katelyn @ http://SimpleSilverLinings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on hand washing it so I can avoid scrubbing on the writing if possible. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  19. That's a really cute idea! What a fun project!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so cute! I don't think I have heard this quote before and I just love it. :)

    Victoria
    ourwabisabi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers